Frozen fruity layer cake
Nothing says ‘summer’ like a frozen dessert. This delicious and refreshing frozen layer cake is super easy to pull together, the kids will love the colours (and the flavours!) and you can feel good giving them something without anything artificial inside.
- 1 cup of frozen strawberries or mixed berries – I use Orchard Gold
- ¾ cup natural yoghurt or coconut yoghurt (best to use a thick and creamy style yoghurt for this recipe rather than a low fat one)
- 2 large frozen, bananas
- 1 cup blueberries
- Optional: 4-6 tbsp fruit jam to add to strawberry and blueberry layers (this adds a bit of extra sweetness)
- Fruit for decorating
How to make;
1) Line a loaf tin with plastic wrap or non stick baking paper.
2) In a food processor (I use my amazing Kenwood Food Processor), blend the strawberries/mixed berries with ½ cup of the yoghurt and optional 2-3 tbsp of jam. Pour the fruit mixture into the tin and place in the freezer for at least 15 minutes.
3) Next, clean the food processor, and then blend the bananas with another 1/4 cup of yoghurt. Add this layer to the tin and return it to the freezer.
4) Repeat with the blueberries, remaining yoghurt and jam if you are using then add the final layer and freeze for a couple of hours.
5) When the top layer is hard, it’s ready to eat, but you can keep it in the freezer as long as you like. Slice while still frozen and serve with additional fruit, mint or edible flowers for decoration.
Thanks to Jamie Oliver for the inspiration for this recipe.