Homemade nut or seed butter
Making your own nut or seed butters at home is incredibly easy! Especially if you’ve got a gutsy food processor (my Kenwood food processor is perfect for this).
You only need a few simple ingredients, and can mix and blend your own creations as you like. Once you see how simple (and tasty) it can be, you’ll probably never go back to buying them off the shelf again!
- 2 cups of raw almonds
- 1 cup of sunflower seeds
- 1 cup of pumpkin seeds
- A neutral flavoured oil such as rice bran or canola (use extra virgin if you can find it)
- Optional: 100g melted dark chocolate
How to make:
1) Preheat oven to 180 degrees and place almonds (and/or seeds) on an baking tray lined with baking paper.
2) Roast for approximately 5-8 minutes, or until you start to notice that nutty smell. Be careful not to roast for too long.
3) Cool the nuts slightly, then place the almonds in your food processor and process on high for 2 minutes until you have blended to a consistency similar to almond meal. I use my amazing Kenwood Food Processor for this.
4) Keep processing for a further 5 minutes either add a little oil and/or the melted dark chocolate until you get the consistency you desire. Once blended, transfer mixture to an airtight jar.