How to make Kombucha
Kombucha is a delicious fermented drink which is easy to make yourself and is low in sugar (the sugar you add is used up by the SCOBY during fermentation).
Here at the Healthy Food Guide is how to make kombucha, all you need is;
- large glass jar
- sheet of paper towel or small clean cloth
- elastic band
- 1 litre filtered or cooled, boiled water
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2-3 tea bags or 2-3 teaspoons loose tea
- 1 SCOBY (sourced from a kombucha-making friend or buy one from a health food store or online)
- at least 1/2 cup kombucha (from a previous batch so you can be sure it has live culture)
Blueberry kombucha, the new favourite. To make that, when you have finished your first ferment, remove SCOBY, add a handful of frozen blueberries and 1tbsp sugar/bottle….leave for 3-5 days in a sealed bottle (pop the top daily to avoid explosions!!) and voila, done. Remove the berries before drinking.