Love a good burger? This turkey pattie is a healthy home-made option that will become a family favourite.
It’s packed with veges, blended down – so it’s a great way to get more greens into a meal for vege-averse kids (or adults!).
Because it’s made with oats and free of breadcrumbs it is also wheat-free (and can easily be made gluten-free by swapping out the oats for quinoa flakes or extra chia seeds). Fill with your favourite ingredients, serve up with either lettuce cups or burger buns, add some home-made oven fries and enjoy!
I’ve used turkey mince here but you could swap out turkey for any other mince that you like as turkey mince isn’t sold in all supermarkets.
Note on oats: If you choose to reduce gluten in your diet as a personal choice, oats will be fine to use here. If however, you are coeliac, note that oats (even gluten-free oats) are not recommended, read here for more info.
- 500g turkey mince (could use chicken mince)
- 1 onion
- Handful of fresh herbs of your choice (parsley and coriander)
- 6 mushrooms
- 1/2 capsicum – colour of your choice
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp rolled oats
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- Oil for cooking
How to make:
- Blend veg and herbs together until finely chopped – this is a super speedy task in a Kenwood food processor!
- Then add mince, egg, oats and chia seeds into the processor and pulse until combined.
- Make into patties.
- Fry in a little oil until cooked all the way through. You could also grill them or cook on the BBQ.
- Serve in buns with salad or lettuce cups.