Beetroot, Asparagus and Walnut Salad
Make this great salad next time you’re entertaining and with its vibrant colours and great taste, it’s a sure crowd pleaser!
For the roasted beetroot:
- 3-4 large beetroots, peeled and chopped
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
For the roasted asparagus:
- 2 bunches of asparagus, hard ends removed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
For the rest of the salad:
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 100g blue cheese
- ½ cup walnuts
- Optional: Handful of pomegranate seeds
- Optional: 1 avocado
- ¾ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp runny honey
- 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
How to make:
1) Place the beetroot chunks into a large bowl and coat with the balsamic vinegar, oil and brown sugar, place onto a lined baking tray.
2) Coat the asparagus in the 1 tbsp of olive oil and place onto another lined baking tray.
3) Pop both the asparagus and beetroot into a pre heated oven at 190 degrees celsius, take the asparagus out after 8 minutes and then leave the beetroot in to cook for another 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
4) Now it’s time to assemble the salad. Place the baby spinach on the bottom of a large bowl and top with beetroot and asparagus, then add the blue cheese chunks, walnuts and optional avocado/pomegranate seeds.
5) Shake the dressing ingredients together in a jam jar and then pour 2-3 tbsp over the salad when you are ready to serve. Keep the rest in the fridge for another time (or just make a smaller batch if you prefer).