Carrot and Courgette Cake
Hands up who loves carrot cake?! Then you’ll want to give this nutritionist-approved recipe a whirl – it also has courgette added for a bonus nutrition boost.
Ready to get baking? Here’s the recipe:
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 6 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1.5 tsp bicarbonate soda
- 1 rounded tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 rounded tsp mixed spice
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1 cup grated courgette (squeeze in a tea towel or paper towel to remove excess water)
- 1 large banana, mashed
- 1 cup sultanas or raisins
- 1 large orange, juice and zest
- 250g lite cream cheese
- 6tbsp icing sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice and zest ½ lemon
How to make:
- Sift flour and baking powder, soda and spices and set aside.
- Beat together eggs and oil.
- Add sugar, mashed banana, chia seeds, orange juice and zest.
- Add sifted flour, spices and baking soda/powder and beat together.
- Fold in grated vegetables and sultanas/raisins.
- Put into a greased and lined 20cm round tin and cook at 165 degrees for 50mins to 1 hour or until golden brown and when you insert a skewer, it comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Beat together the topping ingredients until smooth and spread over the cake.
- Sprinkle with seeds and serve. Freezes well.
I use my Kenwood Chef to make this recipe. I grate the courgette and carrots in the food processor attachment and use the K beater in the bowl to mix the cake together.