Gnocchi with a twist!
I always make my mash ½ potato/½ cauliflower so I was thrilled when I gave this gnocchi a whirl and it worked, a great way to use leftover mash, plus an easy way to get extra veggies into kids (or big kids who need encouragement!)
- 2 cups of mashed potato and cauliflower (I make my mash a 50:50 mix)
- 1 egg, beaten
- Approx. 1 – 1.5 cups of high grade flour or 00 flour
How to make it:
1) Add the beaten egg to the mash and then sift in 1 cup of the flour, stir gently to combine.
2) Add additional flour until the mixture is combined and creates a soft dough that is no longer sticky, but not so dry it is crumbly.
3) Cut into 8 chunks and roll each of them out on a floured surface to approx. 20cm long and cut into bite size chunks, put an indent into each with your thumb or a fork.
4) To cook, add to boiling water for 3-4mins until they float to the surface.
- For a lighter gnocchi if you have one, you can use a potato ricer instead of mashing the potatoes and cauliflower
- 00 flour is very fine pasta flour, if you have it or can get it, it will make the gnocchi even smoother